Picture this: eight months after Susan signed up to receive your company’s services your contact center agents still do not know her name when she calls. She repeatedly has to provide basic information and re-explain her problem and situation with every conversation.
Susan is beginning to feel like your company does not care about her business. As a result, she is shopping with competing companies that can provide a better customer experience that specifically caters to her individual needs.
If your company wants to better understand each and every customer, it is imperative that appropriate measures be taken to map the customer journey. The customer journey begins at the first interaction and lasts throughout the completion of their goal, including making a purchase, seeking service, etc. Customer journeys take place throughout the time a customer does business with your company.
Some examples of steps you can take around customer journey mapping include:
- Research customers by interviewing, surveying and inviting them to meet face-to face. By asking questions and getting to know a customer, companies have an easier time understanding what he or she is going through during a customer journey, thus opening the doors for better communication.
- Establish clear customer goals early on in the journey. It is impossible to map a customer journey without an end goal. Every agent should strive to move customers toward complete satisfaction, which will in turn establish long-term business.
- Focus on the emotions and needs of each customer journey to demonstrate that you care about their overall satisfaction every step of the way. Let them know you are invested in establishing a working relationship to ensure that they remain happy at all times.
- Share your customer journey map across multiple departments so that other employees have access to the same information. When other employees have visibility related to a customer’s journey, it becomes easier to serve them, learn from previous mistakes, and see what has been working and why.
- Review your customer journey maps periodically to assess growth and see if your model is working. Remember your end goals and constantly be on the lookout for ways to improve the journey and make the experience more rewarding for the customer.
One of the best things about mapping the customer journey is that it becomes possible to understand a customer’s level of satisfaction at all times. By analyzing trends of previous phone conversations, it is possible to determine the external factors that might be contributing to a customer’s level of happiness with your program. Moreover, it can help you decide what your company could do differently to better serve them.
But without the right tools, how will you ensure that your customers do not stray from the path? Properly mapping the customer journey requires having access to robust solutions capable of efficiently deploying customer information and sharing it around the enterprise for other agents to utilize. With that your company will gain the tools necessary for fostering all aspects of a dependable customer engagement model. With rules-based routing and a unified view of the customer, as well as centralized management thanks to the cloud, you will be able to rest assured that your customers are in good hands.