One of my favorite shows on Discovery Channel is a show where known “myths” are put to the test – it’s called Mythbusters. The presenters, Jamie and Adam, go to great lengths to prove that a cement truck can be blown up with a healthy dose of dynamite or that there is no successful way of fooling an alcohol test.
Many “myths” have been either “Busted” or deemed “Plausible” so far.
Frequently I speak with operational managers who are in control of back office operations as part of their customer service organization. They often tell me that making the back office as efficient and effective as a contact center or front office, is simply a myth.
So, it’s time that this myth gets “Busted”!
Today’s back office is often compared to a factory production line with “Lean” or “Six Sigma” principles being applied to drive efficiency and service predictability. Often times, this can lead to good results, but here are three reasons why comparing the back office with a production line is not always the best approach:
1. Employees have multiple application systems that offer them work items
2. Your employees select the work they prefer vs. what needs to be done for customers now
3. There is very limited visibility in employee behavior and performance
These three factors increase “statistical variance” and as a result your service levels are compromised, your metrics under-perform, and your employee morale goes down. And this is no myth!
However, you can “Bust” the myth by implementing an Enterprise Workload Management Solution, enabling you to:
- Remove manual work selection and route tasks proactively based on business priority
- Match work types based on real employee skills
- Proactively distribute work based on business rules and real-time employee presence
- Obtain detailed and real-time management information
When properly implemented, service levels are consistently met, employee efficiency increases and the right work gets done on time – meeting your business objectives and making your customer happier.
Learn how Bank Hapoalim busted the back office myth and reduced completion time for work items by 40% here.
Thanks for reading!
Follow me on twitter: @stefancaptijn